Saturday, December 18, 2004

When Morning and Afternoon Blur

Hello blogger fans,
I find myself in Bobcat Village, apartment number 13103, where I have spent 55 of the past 60 hours of my life. Whew, it's like a marathon. I've found myself keeping very strange sleep habits, with the intrusion of the PS2 video game Gladius, as well as the oppurtunity to observe my friends proceed through the recording process of of Josh's CD (due in Feburary). The first night I slept, I remember waking up to Matt (a good man from UTSA) and Josh walking through the door, and asking me to sleep in Justin's bedroom, as opposed to the living room couch, since they would be recording acoustic in the living room. I gladly stumbled away and fell asleep to sweet melodies. Last night, I stayed up till four with them, watching the process of recording electric guitar. After I went to lala land, they continued till 10am, finishing up electric for 10 songs.
Food has also been a rather interesting subject. I ate half a burrito on Thursday, that was it (not all that bad, considering I sat on my butt all day). Friday was slightly more nutritous, when in the afternoon I walked across the street for an amazing baked potatoe, and after ushering a graduation ceremony, I finished the night at Chile's, my first real meal since Tuesday. I have discovered my money supply from sold books is dwindeling though.

One advantage of all this is that I have found a good amount of time to read, and as the guys sleep till 3 in the afternoon, a lot of time to think. I have come upon a "chicken or the the egg" problem, similar to John Cusack's in High Fidelity. Do girls (and for that matter, all people), watch chick flicks because they are sentinmental, or are they sentimental because they watch chick flicks? This question came upon me as I remembered this past Thanksgiving break, in which I watched one of my favorite TV shows, Smallville. I enjoy this show mostly because of the relationship between Clark Kent and Lex Luthor. They have an uneasy friendship at best, with secrets kept on both sides. Lex is potrayed as a bad guy, trying to be good, trying to make the right decisions, and you hold out on him, hoping he will leave the dark side, but then he does something ever-so-often that crosses the line, and one is left on the edge of his/her seat, hoping against hope that he will become a good guy. Clark has also built up some romantic tension between a few of the female characters. With clever shots and sentimental music, one feels a sense of longing or nostalgia for relationships. This struck me over the break, because these were feelings I hadn't felt in quite some time.
And thus the chicken or the egg came to mind. I began thinking of some of my reallife experiences as friends I know get married or are on the road to marraige with a "special someone," and as I talk to them about their relationships, I have no sense of longing or envy, but rather joy for them as they experience the wonders of marriage. So I've come to the conclusion that "chick flicks" can potentially waken or increase emotions that don't really need to be drawn out.

I guess I should mention that at the same time that I had those thoughts, I was in the midst of reading I Kissed Dating Goodby by Joshua Harris :). More on that later.

Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home