Monday, December 20, 2004

So... That dating thing

Yes, I read the infamous I Kissed Dating Goodbye a couple of days ago as I lougened around Josh's apartment. I have heard many people express distaste for this book, ironically most have never read it, they simply judge it by the title. In all honesty, I read only about 2/3 of the book, the beginning and end for two reasons: I was time limited and it seemed largely directed towards high school students and the writing was very simplistic, and most of his examples of "dating gone wrong" involved high schoolers. That's fine and all, but I'm a sophmore in college, I want to hear about people in their mid-20s.
I liked his overall message, it seemed the main point he was trying to make was that relationships with the opposite sex should not consume our life, that we should enjoy our time of singleness and use it to glorify the Lord as much as possible. My friend DJ once said a better title would be "I Kissed the Pursuit of Dating Goodbye," which in one sense is appropriate, but ultimately it would fall short, since Harris is without a doubt against dating. The alternative he gives has more of the appearance of courtship, in other words a serious relationship in which from the very beginning marriage is stated as the end goal. The very idea of that is very intimidating, but that is his point -- if we aren't that serious about relationships, we have no business being in one. I have to say I strongly agree with him on that point.

5 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Henri said...

Hey bro...
Just checking out the site :)

www.christmaswish.blogspot.com

peace

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Sean Raybuck said...

Dan, a friend from txstate who had been in a relationship for 4 years told me one of the key things in his relationship was that he didn't take it too seriously. His point was to have fun, enjoy life, and not be so "serious". Obviously you want to look at consequences and not have fun at her expense, but his point is a good one.

He also told me that you know we are always changing people. Constantly in change. And that every so often we are completely different than when we were when we first entered into a relationship.

I'd agree with both his points. I don't want a relationship to restrain me. I think being too serious will be a drag on you and the relationship. I think we are constantly seeking out our identities. Wanting to be validated. Wanting to be loved. Wanting to be the best possible person we can be (in varying degrees and ways).

I'm going to write a post on something similar to this.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

I actually never read the book but I've heard him speak. I see the wisdom in what he has to say, but at the same time I don't know if I'm sold on everything. I honestly don't take anything anyone says on the subject at face value, that's just the way I am though, a skeptic at heart.

I think it's definitely a better idea than, as it's called, "dating around". That leads to way too many "mini divorces"...or, as one book I once read put it. "Recreational (but emotionally and/or physically serious) dating doesn't prepare people for marrage, it prepares them for divorce".

The point about seriousness is a good one. Like I tell some of my friends..."geez, it's not like you guys are married". In other relashonships you wind up with an entire high school or junior high atmosphere of lacking seriousness or any form of true commitment. These are often sacrificed in the pursuit of gratification, which almost always seems to come at the long term expense of one or both of the people in the relashonship.

I have never been in a serious relashonship myself, so I need to qualify that. However I've observed enough and talked to enough people to know enough about it to at least comment. I often wonder if people will reject what I'm saying based on the fallacy of "ad hominem" (You haven't experenced it personally and therefore are not qualified to talk about it).

Take care man and keep thinking,

- Jordan

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Sean Raybuck said...

Jordan good points.

But ad-hominem is the wrong fallacy. That means attacking the person rather than adressing their argument.

That would be Irrelevant Authority.

Yoi

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

Thanks man I haven't looked at that book since I took that class.

Or is it called "Poisioning the Well"? Crap I dunno but things.

yoi back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home