Monday, August 29, 2005

Why Having Power Rocks

The past couple of weeks have been somewhat hectic, bouncing between places of residence, spending eight hour days working on PAWs Preview, and after that finished, I helped organize and participated in some Cru events. It’s not until now that I can actually “catch a breather.”
One thing that I have taken from my PAWs Preview experience is that being in a position of power is pretty cool. One of my freshmen became separated from her section and still needed to get her computer account taken care of. Unfortunately, Den Pavonka was now waiting in line for the computers, exacerbating her condition. What did I do? I told her to follow me, brought her to the front of the line (cutting off twenty-four people in the process), and got her back where she needed to be. In another instance, a couple of freshmen were waiting for their friend to be dismissed from a discussion group so they could go to lunch. What did I do? I told my PAL her section was free to go. Ironically in all situations I was helping girls. Coincidence? YES! (I can see Grace’s disapproving face now :).
So telling people what to do and when to do it is pretty cool. At the same time, it comes with a lot of stress and responsibility. If my PALs didn’t know how to do their job, that’s pretty much my fault.

Anyway, as my philosophy classes get underway, maybe I’ll come up with some more compelling material. But this will have to do for now.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

it was generally compelling dan. no worries.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Sean Raybuck said...

Dan, i catch your drift. Power means you have the ability to exert your influence on other people. It definently feels good to be able to assess situations and see where people need to go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home