Friday, July 08, 2005

A Tragedy in the American Church

This summer, after much long-suffering I am finally able to indulge my new rock climbing habit by buying a membership at the local rock gym in hopes to better prepare myself for the real rock that is found all over the Texas hill country. While enjoying by Friday night climb, I came across something that tested my gag reflex as nothing has before. It wasn't someone breaking there tibula from a twenty foot fall or a difficult hold ripping an old callous off one of my chalked up fingers. What I saw was a flyer advertising a "Christian" event at the local water park. Not only is there going to be a $1000 prize giveaway this July 29, there will also be a battle of the bands "worship band" competition.

Fortunately, no one heard me wretching.

From a Christ-centered perspective, how do we justify making worship a competition? We can't. It's not about who is better at singing "Praise Adoni." Jesus criticized the Pharisees for such things. They were concerned only about the show of prayer, the show of tithing money. The pharisees were not concerned about God, but about what other men thought of them.
If we try to identify ourselves as the "best singer," "best writer," or best anything else, our lives will be a failure, for there will always be someone greater. I doubt that I will ever attain the status of any of the apostles, but I can't be concerned with my reputation or image. My main concern most be Christ, because in the end it is only Him who will be glorified.

I fear that we are so concerned with relating to the current generation that we will sacrifice anything -- even a clear presentation of the gospel. Our hunger for "coolness" is going to hinder the very work that God sent us here to do.

6 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

Dan,
It might just be a secular ploy to bring in a secular crowd... It's perhaps not the best way to maximize exposure, but it might offer just that--maximum exposure. Just a thought...

I think it sounds sick too. I would never show up.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Dan Reiter said...

True it may be a secular ploy, but if we are selling out and "watering down the Gospel" as Ross King puts it, is it worth it?

Besides, people aren't morons, they'll know when people are trying to pull one on them

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it could have been worse, you could have seen it advertised during *Entertainment Tonite* :o)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

Well true, it may be watered down. Think about it like this:
For some, a shot of straight whiskey is too much. So you put some water in it, close your eyes, and hope for the best. Sometimes you end up liking it, and your mouth waters, unexplainably, for more. You move to the hard stuff--straight shots, over and over, till your an alcoholic. But maybe, just maybe, a sweet action Christian alcoholic.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

Yeah, whatever C. I make you laugh, you make me sad. What an arrangment.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

I love you man. I oompletely and totally agree with you on this subject. Let's talk about it more this fall because I've been on a project with a lot of people who don't see it how I do and I need to vent a little.:) Modern "worship" took a huge turn for the disgusting when "worship" became a multi-multi-million dollar mainstream genre/super-fad of music.

p.s. if you haven't heard I will be living with Mike C. and DJ off of north LBJ a few blocks from campus. I'm stoked.

Later man,

- Jordan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home