Monday, June 13, 2005

Cultural Anthropologist -vs- Pastor

Yesterday one of our church pastors gave an impassioned sermon on the Song of Solomon, which if you don't know, is the "scandalous" book of the Bible, since it's about the birds and the bees, if you catch my meaning.

During his sermon, while he was sharing some of his experiences of counseling married couples I began thinking about credibility. Why do we so often believe the pop psychologist before we believe the church pastor? As of recently, I haven't been too fond of Wild at Heart by John Eldridge due to the bold sweeping claims he makes in regards to manhood. I think: How does he know all that? Not all guys have the same undercurrents of thought, passion, etc. (FYI -- my biggest pet peeve is when people try to pigeon-hole me. I hate spiritual gift surveys!!!) But then I realize that Eldridge is a man who has counseled countless men and married couples for several years -- couldn't he have noticed a pattern in the problems and desires that all these people had?

Why do we believe the 30 or 40 something "experts" who have Ph Ds, and not our eighty something grandparents? I have also realized how tragic it is that people have to turn to books for wisdom and advice. I love reading, and we can learn much from a good book, but where is that community of support that we so desperately need in times of despair? And where is my JC Ryle? A man who has seen it all and is on his way out and not afraid to share his knowledge with the next generation, who will convict and challenge and encourage those who are my age to live a God-centered life?

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sort the chaff from the grain.

No age is *smarter* than any other, just more, less, different life experiences to draw from. The smartest people are the ones who listen best to other people's hearts. Maybe the biggest problem is the demand for answers, yet for every answer you get more questions! (thus the self help section grows by leaps and bounds...is the world getting any better for it, or is it just a way to re-distribute wealth?)

{{hugs}} aren't ya glad you gave me your blog address? :o)

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

Dr. Garber, the magic/ritual guy at Tx state, told this story... wait, too tired to type. But I know what you mean about the bold, sweeping generalizations in wild at heart. But a good book if you're the adventurous/dangerous type and want to justify your lifestyle. Is that your mom's comment? She's a smart one Dan... Listen carefully to mother--always!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home