Thursday, June 16, 2005

Why the Supertones Rock!

As of late, the Supertones have come underattack by a few friends. I have decided that it is my duty as an OC Supertones fan to defend their music, no matter what others may say and what friends may leave me because of what they perceive as horrendous musical taste (Corrie >:-( .

In Michael's comment section of the Daily Rice, I stated that the Supertones had amazing lyrics that give most Christian bands a run for their money. Alas, I gave no supporting evidence and Corrie attempted to disparage the band by quoting lyrics from the song "Chase the Sun," from the album Chase the Sun. What she fails to mention is that it is the worst track on that album, because of -- admittedly -- lyric quality and the fact that it takes on more of a rap vibe (ughh). For the first four years that I owned the CD, I made sure I skipped that track. The majority of my defense will be quoting other Supertone songs. It must be noted that this is a ska band, so although the lyrics can stand on their own, they are much more powerful in the context of an actual song. Since Corrie used the Chase the Sun album, I will do the same, although their first two albums (Adventures of and Strike Back) had equally good if not better lyrics.

Sometimes I think,
how can You love me?
My thoughts are so far from your own.
Why choose me Lord?
I'm a poor reflection.
Why use me to make yourself known?
-- Old Friend

Kids in universities
drowning in an ocean
of apostate philosophy
We need apologetic instruction
mental reconstruction,
Ignorance reduction...
...Wisdom and truth have been vandalized...
...Expose the lies
no matter how they're disguised
-- Grounded

I want to quote about five or six more songs, but I'm going to stop myself . So many Christian albums seem to be strictly "praise" songs that potray a Christian life as something that is relatively easy and rarely scratches the surface of real life or real issues (ie Reliant K). In contrast, the Supertones touch on just about every aspect of life -- about feeling inadequate (Old Friend), about the lack of unity in the Christian church (One Voice), and even the apathy of wealthy American Christians as our brothers and sisters die for the gospel (Health and Wealth). The song "In Between," addresses the struggle a Christian feels as he struggles to do good despite the sinful nature that resides in him. "Sure Shot" is about the desire to live a life to the fullest, a life that means something. Oh yeah, and all this is in one album. There are still two more that are truly great for all the same reasons.

2 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger MW Rice said...

corries gonna be pissed! you're in it now... let's start the music wars. your mom's comments are great dan! anyways, come over soon!!!!!!!!
rice

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Dan Reiter said...

Upset because I like the Supertones or because what I said about our friendship in the opening paragraph? B/c that intro shouldn't be taken seriously, but I still seriously like the supertones :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home