Friday, May 06, 2005

Foray into Philosophy

As the semester draws to end, I realize I missed my blog and that it's time to bring it back (besides, all of ya'll are going to miss me during the summer, I've gotta keep you posted somehow).

This semester I've had some of the worst classes ever. I'm fortunate to get B's, not because they're hard, but because I have no motivation what-so-ever to study. But I've also had some of the best classes, more specifically: the Problem of Evil with Dr. Hutcheson.

Never has a class been a source of such extreme stress as this one. Over the course of the semester I had to write four 5pg papers in which I argued with professional philosophers. I knew I failed every paper when I turned it in. During Spring Break, I had nightmares about making a 20 on the paper I turned in the previous Friday (I'm not making that up). Yet I made 3 A's and a B in one of the hardest classes I will ever take. Dr. Hutcheson is by far the hardest professor in the philosophy department; one friend described him as the "litmus test": if you can pass him, you're set. I didn't just pass him -- I made an A!!! I'm dumbfounded to say the least. All my doubts about switching my major have been unfounded. I'm cut out for this stuff after all. Who knew I could argue so well? I didn't. In the upcoming weeks I think I'll design a blog for all my papers, in case anyone is interested in reading my papers (and/or has too much time on his/her hands).

I'm heading home this summer, which I have mixed feelings about, but I'll know it'll be alright. As one friend said, I'm not going to have many more opportunities to spend an extened period of time with my family.

One thing I'm uber excited about is living in a Sagewood duplex. If you haven't heard, it is party central at Texas State, and it's going to be an adventure (to say the least) as I'm exposed to this new kind of lifestyle (although not necessarily taking part in). I'm also taking 9hrs of philosophy classes, and I'm looking forward to getting to know other people with the same major (there is only 75 of us).

The long and short about my attitudes in life at the moment.
Till next time...
Dan Reiter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home