Saturday, November 12, 2005

Christians in Philosophy

I discovered yesterday why Christian Philosophy Professors are the bomb.

We are discussing the writings of Augustine in my Ancient Philosophy class, and my professor lectured on Augustine's concept of time. I don't won't to go into all the details (it was an hour long lecture), but it's amazing how this relates to God and foreknowledge (knowing things in advance).
People often object to the idea of foreknowledge, arguing that if God knows what we are going to do, then we do not have free will. My professor was able to show that this isn't the case with the help of the following example.

Let's determine the truth value of the following statement: At 1pm I will go climbing at Reimer's Ranch (it is 11am as I write this). According to those who object to foreknowledge, if this statement of the future is true, then I had no choice in the matter. I have to be at Reimer's at 1pm. If the statement is false, then I cannot be there. Again no free choice. The problem with this, my professor explained, is that we think the truth value of the statement influences the truth of the actual event, when in reality, it is the event itself that makes the statement true or false.

Also, God is outside the bounds of time in the same way that we are outside the timeline of a book we're reading. If we have read a book multiple times, we can look at the story as a whole and know when and where events fit in. In a similar way, God knows what is happening before we do it. He does not necessarily direct it all (although he certainly could), but we are simply informing him of our actions, and he is observing. We just don't know what we're about to.

Our professor also gave some really awesome analogies as to how God works through man's free will to accomplish His purpose, and went into more detail on time, but it was extremely awesome to have a philosophy prof talk about God for an hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home