Sunday, March 04, 2007

In Regards to Sex and Violence (mostly the latter)

God created man in His own image, in His own image, He created him; male and female He created them. --Genesis 1:27 NASB

Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. --1 Cor 6:18-20 NIV

Violence defaces the image of God, and sensuality profanes the temple of God. -- Ravi Zacharias


I'm tired of Hollywood for several reasons. Actually, I'm just tired of our culture in general.
When I was in high school, a good friend of mine vented some frustration while we were working out. "So many people speak out against sexual lust in our culture, and how it's evil, but then they advocate how great Braveheart and Gladiator are despite the graphic violence." He pointed out an inconsistency. Sexual lust is quickly labeled as bad, but blood lust is perfectly acceptable.

I just finished watching the Departed. In the last few minutes of the movie, four people are shot point-blank in the head. I don't get it. Why was this a great movie? The violence seems to obscure any sort of greatness the plot twist had.

We wonder why we have such crime rates. A few years ago, we questioned why school shootings were becoming such a problem. But look at our culture! We glorify violence. We glorify blood shed. If we were truly concerned about humanity, about homicide, Hollywood wouldn't have had the incentive to make two sequels to SAW. We wouldn't see gratuitous violence as entertaining.

Jack Johnson says it better than I:
We only receive what we demand,
and if we want hell then hell's what we'll have

Christ cliamed that a man speaks from the overflow of his heart. And if man fills it with violence, what will his actions reflect?

2 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach on Dan, I hear ya!!I too am sick of Hollywood!

300 just made $70 million at the box office this weekend! There's your glorified violence. I saw the movie over Spring Break, I'm not going to lie, it was amazing. It expresses several American values, mostly pride for your country. But a movie that reveals cunning fighting tactics and ruthless slaughter to me is controversial in various ways. I saw a father bring two little girls into the theater! We are breeding the generations to come into a world of unloving sex and violence! Not to mention, in Texas, we don't teach proper sexual health, we teach abstinence only(until college).

The media portrays an unhealthy body image to the public. Lost, is one of my favorite shows, and even I can't help it. Every time I see Evangeline Lily's arms, I want her muscles! So what are we doing when we say that these frighteningly skinny models are sexy? We are promoting psychological and physical disorders (Bulimia and Anorexia), rather than Health and wellness. A bill in Texas that would cover both areas of treatment for Bulimics and Anorexics( insurance wise), I think just got voted out. Most can afford one (usually physical treatment), but not the other. So when they are thrown back into society, the psychological problems still exist. As everyone knows, Dove has launched a campaign For Real Beauty. It's about time! The media needs to focus on being healthy; exercise, eat right, be social and be happy. And for you college students, the Freshman 15 is a myth! Your body is still changing and growing.

Hey Hollywood, stop trying to edyamacate us, we is alweady!
I could go a lot more into this! :)

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jordan_Ryan_Stewart said...

Dude, I've missed a lot but not checking this in a long time.

And I am with you actually in the concern over violence. Obviously I'm not in favor of censorship...I just happen to be concerned over our society's (at almost every age and level and political affiliation) obsession with, and desensitization to, graphic displays of very realistic violence.

More on this later...I think I have something to say on it as well. Also, thanks for the encouragement to write more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home