Monday, August 21, 2006

Rubber Meets the Road

Unfortunately, my summer has ended. Actually, it was all over a couple of days ago, even though class does not begin till Wednesday. I was beginning to get bored, but as things are picking up, I'm wishing for the boredom to come back.
We quickly forget so many things. San Marcos was a sleepy little town for several months, and now I find myself completely thrown off by the arrival of thousands of college students. It is no longer safe to ride my bike.
And as with every time frame of my life, I'm thinking back to the things I learned.

While I was taking the Greyhound back to Houston from New Orleans, a new friend said she could tell that I lived a "sheltered life." I was a little offended, afterall, I have read and heard stories of all the evils of the world. Obviously, this is completely different from experiencing life, and the reminders flew at me quickly. Death loomed and still looms at the door of some of my family and friends. Rules and laws that I thought would get me through life are shattered to pieces.

And questions rise to the surface. Why do we cling to the things that will destroy us?

2 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Daniel~

When people claim others have lived sheltered lives I often wonder their need to point it out: ie--you've never had life as rough as I have; you have it so good/easy, etc. Misery takes on many forms. Every human goes through this life with a specific set of trials & tribulations designed for them, and no one should underestimate or minimize the trials of life that others have been led to. We are all so blessed, in one form or another, it's up to us individually to recognize the blessings sent.

Everything is relative, every pain can be outfelt by anothers, what is necessary is to recognize someone elses' pain and offer them the compassion they need to find their way through. (let the people of New Orleans speak with the people who survived the mass killings in Rwanda, and on and on, it is a real spiral--if only we could take the spiral on an up cycle rather than down) Life is beautiful, life is good, isn't that why we all fight to live on?

The last month I've felt & seen more pain & trauma than I mentally knew existed, it redefines overwhelming, somehow these families and patients in MICU find the way thro to celebrate each tiny, yet gigantic victory--one breath without a ventilator, one grasp of the hand. I wish you were here, but I'm glad you are there. I love you so very much. Be safe on your trip and phone home. I can't wait for my next Daniel hug, it is always so hard to let go. {{hugs}} Mom

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Dan Reiter said...

someone needs to make a blog of her own...
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home